Sunday, November 13, 2011

Wk 3 Reading: The Art of Possibility Chapters 5-8

In this blog post I will be talking about some of the key points that were stimulated in me whilst ready these chapters. What I would like to share first is this wonderful bit of wisdom I got from a friend over the weekend.
“Always see the good in people first. . . Because if you don’t, you’ll always see the bad and the opportunity of that moment will be lost.”
This had been playing on my mind I a totally felt it more due to the reading. Remembering the chapters, which talk about the calculating self and the central self. How the balance of action and reaction are so delicate. When we are faced with a situation oftentimes our (re) actions are based from the calculating self who is trying to avoid pain, thus making fear based decisions from pride and ego etc. One way to connect with the central being of not only yourself and others is through acting from a place of love and compassion. Seeing the good in every interaction we have before marring the picture with judgments and should, seeing things the way they are. It is challenging to BE in the present moment and remain objective especially in such an abstract world.

But by being able to stay present and take things in following rule number 6 opens up so many possibilities! At a recent rehearsal I noticed how band members were talking about what the drummer 'should' do in 4rd person without addressing the drummer himself. Upon noticing this I was instantly reminded of the ‘Leading from any chair’ chapter of the book. I was instantly inspired to ask the drummer what he thought about what should be done. This instantly allowed us to carry on with the practice. As a teacher I try my best to be mindful of getting the learners involved in the process. I have experienced being in a classroom and not once asked for my thought process and being rather un-stimulated. I also hold on to a truth that if I’m bored as a teacher, so are my learners. We must be able to break down the strife of perfection and remember to play and find the passion in just the experience itself. Allowing ‘it’ to be ‘its’ own natural expression, and allowing us to be the instrument we play to life.





1 comment:

  1. great application of the reading to your experiences. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete