Friday, November 4, 2011

Wk 2 Reading: The Art of Possibility Chapters 1-4

The Art of Possibility (Zander & Zander 2000) has so far been a very inspirational book. The first chapter asks us to look at our selves and our perspectives. One part was about the two shoe salesman. How one saw a business opportunity and the other didn’t, when on a trip to Africa. I’m sure we can all relate to that. This reminded me of something my Reiki teacher spoke about. Think of a time when you were listening to someone talk or moan about an issue they have and in an effort to turn their thinking around we start the sentence with “no but.” This in itself just goes to reinforce the polarity of the situation. The words we choose can seem so meaningless yet can shape our whole world. In times when I may not agree I try my best to say nothing, even if the person I’m speaking with is fishing for more. A great quote that I try to live by is:

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

I find this quote extremely powerful, since far to often we say things like “I am angry” and so be it, angry you are, as opposed to just having a feeling of anger in that moment. Once we can see past the anger, frustration and pain and see how beautiful life is. How everything we have been through, the good, the bad, the ugly, has led us to this very moment in time. Here and now, and how magical is that. We could not be here, a simple twist of fate and poof all change. That it is about being thankful for the challenges as well as the blessings in our lives. Also reflecting on the impact we have had on other’s lives. One of the most memorable moments in my education career was when one of my co-workers, who used to be a student, was telling me about their studies at University. I was really happy to hear that she was doing so well. She responded that she was just following me, doing what I did. I was completely taken a back. I had never thought about it that way. Since then I have been mindful of the impact I have and we have on each other. We are all co-creators in this beautiful musical score of life.



3 comments:

  1. Michelle - Ashe, Ashe, Ashe! I have that first quoted framed and hung in my children's rooms-I think it's so powerful. Your reflection really resonates with me and I found similar inspiration as I read The Art of Possibility. Yes, the words we speak carry the vibration of our intention which is why a bit of mindfulness goes such a long way. You know, I've always felt that "but" negates whatever is said before it regardless how positive it was. What a great example you provide; living in your truth and fullness allowed your co-worker to experience the the power of her own light. Thanks for the quotes! They are great reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I enjoyed your reflection on this weeks reading. I feel strongly that you become what you think and try hard to keep the right thoughts in my own head. I once read a book that told me that if I was having a horrible day to walk like I was having a great day. I tried it, and soon with some effort my day seemed to magically turn around.

    We as human beings tend to accept what ever it is we think. If we think we can do it we will, if we think we cannot do it we wont. Someone out there is looking at us right now and trying to mirror what we are doing. We can at the end of the day be proud for what we have done or we can try to hide. Hopefully I will make my family and friends proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, excellent observation and personalization of the reading. Loved the mantra, and it can go both ways as a reminder to take care but also to visualize the possibility. Thanks

    ReplyDelete